I have looked it up and the resources all talk about schengen visa, travelling with eu national family member etc. so I would like to get a more assuring answer about my situation:

I am a non-EU national with an Italian residence permit. My father is an Italian citizen. I will be travelling to Sofia and Bucharest next month with my girlfriend who is a British citizen. Do I need to get a visa to enter these two cities?

1 Answer 1


Yes, both Bulgaria and Romania accept residence permits issued by the EU member countries and Schengen visas.


Holders of Schengen visas with two or multiple entries, national visas or residence permits issued by Schengen Member States

  • Thank you. going to book hotels for our trip right now :) Apr 25, 2017 at 15:17
  • The Bulagarian page you links to seems to claim that only holders of Schengen visas are exempt from visa requirements there, whereas residence permits from Schengen countries are not mentioned (but residence permits from Romania, Cyprus and Croatia are). Jul 5, 2017 at 13:45
  • @OleksandrKravchuk: Then it's serving a different page to me than it does to you. For the page I see, the only two instances of the word "residence" are in "valid visas and residence permits issued by Romania, Cyprus and Croatia" and "valid visas and residence permits issued by Romania, Cyprus and Croation" [sic]. Jul 5, 2017 at 14:23
  • The page from Romania does mention residence permits from Schengen member states, but that is not the page (or the country!) I'm talking about. Jul 5, 2017 at 14:23

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .