Can a minor be accompanied to the UK office in Chicago by an adult other than their parent to obtain a standard visitor visa with the parent's permission? The Mother lives in Togo and the son is at a Boarding School in Illinois.


First a note of clarification: the UK Consulate in Chicago, a Premium Application Centre, does not accept Standard or Priority Visa applicants.

Such applications are begun online, fees paid, and biometrics done at at US Department of Homeland Security application support center. Only then is the application sent to the British Consulate General in New York for processing.

Minor children do not need to be accompanied interviews, but must provide the consent to travel of their parent(s) and, as appropriate, their legal guardian(s). As a minor and a third-country national applying in the United States for a UK visit visa, consent of both the parent(s) and the legal guardian(s) should be provided. The ECO has a statutory duty to protect children and would expect such documentation.

Gov.UK Standard Visitor Visa if you're under 18:

You can apply for a standard visitor visa if you’re under 18 and:

  • you’ve made suitable arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK
  • you have consent from your parent or guardian to travel to the UK
  • you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey
  • you have enough money to support yourself without working or getting help from public funds, or you have family and friends that can support you

Travelling alone

You can travel to the UK without an adult (someone over the age of 18).

Your parent or guardian will need to provide their:

  • written consent for you to travel to the UK
  • full contact details

They’ll also need to provide proof that you have somewhere suitable to live during your stay in the UK, including:

  • the name and date of birth of the person that you will be staying with
  • an address where you will be living
  • details of your relationship to the person who’ll be looking after you
  • consent in writing so they can look after you during your stay in the UK

Travelling with an adult

When travelling to the UK with an adult (someone over the age of 18), you’ll need to identify them in your visa application.

If the person you’re travelling with isn’t your parent, you’ll need to provide specific information about them in your application.

Their name will appear on your visa, and you’ll be refused entry to the UK if you arrive in the UK without them.

You can identify up to 2 adults in your visa application, and your visa will only be valid if you travel with at least one of them.

The adult can apply for a visa at the same time, but you must each complete separate applications.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.