I am a US citizen born in Mexico. I am traveling to Mexico in a couple of weeks with my American passport. Do I need a visa or anything else to travel?

  • 5
    -1 for not undertaking a basic research online before asking this question. Apr 17, 2017 at 19:05
  • 1
    do you have any Mexican document?
    – Marcel P.
    Apr 17, 2017 at 19:07
  • 2
    What are you doing in Mexico? Working? Studying? Vacation?
    – Michael
    Apr 17, 2017 at 19:38
  • 1
    If you were born in Mexico, you're most probably a citizen of Mexico unless you've renounced your Mexican citizenship. Apr 17, 2017 at 20:03
  • 3
    @SheikPaul questions that show little research effort should be downvoted rather than closed ("lack of effort" is not a close reason, after all).
    – phoog
    Apr 17, 2017 at 22:37

1 Answer 1


As has been noted, those born in Mexican territory are citizens of Mexico, regardless of the nationality of their parents.

The Mexican nationality law acknowledges that a Mexican by birth may possess another nationality. If that is the case, however, such an individual must always enter and leave the country as a Mexican (by presenting a Mexican proof of citizenship).

Mexico actively encourages dual citizenship (Doble Nacionalidad) and US/Mexican nationals should carry citizenship documentation for both countries when traveling to Mexico.

Timatic, the database used by airlines, lists the what Mexican documents are acceptable if you don't have a Mexican passport:

  • national ID card
  • certified copy of birth certificate
  • consular registration
  • certificate of Mexican nationality
  • naturalization letter
  • Matricula Consular
  • Constancia de Identificacion
  • voter's certificate with photo

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .