I am a volunteer in Italy since January 2017 and I have a national visa type D - Multi - 190 days. I'm staying in Italy 6 months until my project is finished in July 2017.

This is my first time in Europe, so I would like to make a trip to some other countries in the Schengen area at the end of June, before I return to my native country in the beginning of July. I'm afraid that I can't do it if I don't have a residence permit for Italy. They gave me an appointment on the 23rd of May at the Police department to apply for a residence permit, but I think it will be too late to get the decision (normally, it takes 2 or 3 months).

Can I use my visa to travel without residence permit? If it is possible, do I need prepare any document or paper to travel with my visa?


1 Answer 1


Long sojourn or "national" Visas (NV), which are only valid for visits that are longer than 90 days (type D), with one or more entries, in the territory of the Schengen State whose diplomatic mission issued the visa. Holders of type D visas are permitted to circulate freely in Schengen countries other than the issuing one for a period of not more than 90 days per half-year and only if the visa is valid.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .