You can apply for a US visa in so called "third country" if you have sufficient reasons for doing so. Does evasion from a military service while pursuing a PhD in US sounds like a valid reason for not entering home country? For example, my home country does not really care about pursuing a PhD at foreign university and can grab you any time if you are unlucky enough. I did not receive an official request to enroll there, yet, because I am, well, out of their reach :) so I am not considered criminal, nor I break any law. But I do not want to risk receiving it by visiting home country.

closed as unclear what you're asking by user 56513, Giorgio, Ali Awan, chx, JonathanReez Apr 17 '17 at 8:22

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • That seems like it would be an "up to the consular officer" type scenario. Try calling the embassy in question. – user13044 Apr 17 '17 at 4:35
  • 1
    Most countries are happy to process a visa application filed in the applicant's country of residence. Do you have an indication that the US demands them to be filed in countries of nationality? – Henning Makholm Apr 17 '17 at 10:55
  • Without considering your country's specific situation, it looks bad. You want consideration because you want to violate your country's law - this is an indication that you may violate US law too. – ugoren Apr 17 '17 at 11:26

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.