I am an Norwegian citizen and this summer, I am going on a 4 week holiday in the US. For the most part, I will be staying in the US, but I want to drive over the border on a day trip to see Canada. The plan is to drive from the US to Canada, then to fly from Toronto back into the US. I have been approved for the US Visa Waiver Program, but have not gotten anything for Canada. Do I need a Canada visa, and are there any complications regarding my Visa Waiver when I leave and re-enter the US?

Adrian A. Andersen

  • 1
    Which country are you a national of? Apr 16, 2017 at 20:32
  • I am a Norwegian citizen, who have gotten my VWP-request accepted.
    – user59982
    Apr 16, 2017 at 20:34
  • You mean you have gotten your ESTA approved. VWP participation is a status that countries apply/netgotiate for. Apr 16, 2017 at 20:40
  • 2
    You don't need a visa, and if you will be driving to Canada you do not need an eTA. Read cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html Apr 16, 2017 at 20:41
  • Yes, I guess that is the right term for it.
    – user59982
    Apr 16, 2017 at 20:41

1 Answer 1


Norwegian citizens do not need a visa for Canada

However, bear in mind that you're admitted to the US for 90 days, and that that clock continues while you're in Canada and on re-entry to the US

  • Don't forget to mention the Canadian ETA (which is effectively a visa), although it's not needed for overland trips.
    – JonathanReez
    Apr 16, 2017 at 21:57
  • 2
    @JonathanReez I' purposely did not mention it because the question is about driving to Canada. I also disagree with you about it being a visa - the way I see it, like ESTA, it's an electronic passport registratiom
    – Crazydre
    Apr 16, 2017 at 22:01

You must log in to answer this question.