I am a non-visa national planning to visit Ireland and the UK with entry through Ireland and onward to UK without passing through immigration control.

Does the duration of stay I am given in Ireland cover my total stay in the Common Travel Area? Basically if I am unfortunate and say given only 1 week upon entry into Ireland (instead of the standard 90 days), do I have to depart the UK before the 1 week is up, or do I automatically get the standard 90 day leave to enter once I cross over into UK?

This much I know:

When someone transits via Dublin into the UK they do so on a 90 day leave-to-enter issued by the Republic of Ireland. This allows the holder to move about the Common Travel Area.

The leave-to-enter does not automatically become a six-month UK leave-to-enter by crossing a border. Regardless of where they are the person becomes an overstayer on the 91st day.


This is the answer at the UK.GOV website I found. You get three months in the UK.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.