I belong to Pakistan and doing PhD in Italy. My research paper is accepted for conference in US. I want to participate in conference but facing confusion about the visa type.

What type of visa is required to attend a conference in USA, B1 or J1?

1 Answer 1


Attending an academic conference counts as a "business" purpose, so you need a B-1 visa.

J-1 is for formalized study or exchange programs of longer duration than the handful of days a conference will last.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.