I am a US Citizen, traveling to France later this year. I have a 7 hour layover in Montreal, Canada. Do I need any other documents, other than my passport when stopping in Canada?

  • Vaccination booklet, if you've got one? – Mark Mayo Apr 4 '17 at 0:19
  • 2
    @MarkMayo A vaccination booklet for a US citizen going to France via Canada? Why would proof of vaccinations be required for that trip? – Zach Lipton Apr 4 '17 at 0:22
  • @ZachLipton not from France, but if he's been anywhere else say French territories in Africa. I was literally just trying to think of anything else that might be requested. – Mark Mayo Apr 4 '17 at 0:41
  • I think it's better to say that having a valid Passport is the minimum required for a US Citizen to enter Canada. – Johns-305 Apr 4 '17 at 18:05

As a US citizen, you should not need anything other than a passport in the situation you described - you can verify this here. Of course, this assumes that the Canadian immigration officer believes you - in case there is any suspicion, be prepared to show proof that your intention is just transit (ticket for onwards travel to France, etc) - but realistically it shouldn't be a problem unless there's something about you that the immigration officer finds suspicious. There may be some special requirements in some special circumstances, e.g. if you have a criminal record you may need additional documents.

  • Since US citizens can enter Canada for tourist and business purposes it shouldn't matter even if the immigration officer thinks you are not flying on to France. – DJClayworth Apr 4 '17 at 2:42
  • 1
    @DJClayworth If the immigration person thinks the visitor has, for example, intent to stay and work in Canada they will not be admitted. There is no right of entry for anyone but Canadian citizens (and maybe certain refugees or other protected classes). – Spehro Pefhany Apr 4 '17 at 16:04

For a US citizen no. You need only your passport.

  • 2
    Welcome to TSE. It is good practice to provide a summary or short excerpt of the information behind a link, in case it goes bad (as governmental sites very often do). I encourage you to take the site tour and review the help center for additional guidance. – choster Apr 4 '17 at 16:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.