I am an Indian citizen married to a permanent resident of Australia. I have a tourist visa for Australia. Would I require a separate visa to travel to New Zealand? If yes, what visa should I apply for for a holiday?

1 Answer 1


According to the New Zealand immigration site, yes you will need a separate visa:

You do not need a visa to visit New Zealand if you are:

  • A New Zealand or Australian citizen or resident,
  • A UK citizen and/or passport holder (you can stay up to six months), or
  • A citizen of a country which has a visa waiver agreement with New Zealand (you can stay up to three months).

If you don’t meet the above, then you’ll need a visitor visa, which allows you to holiday in New Zealand for up to nine months.


India is not on the list of visa waiver agreement countries, so yes you will need a visa in advance.

The Australian visa or your spouses permanent residency doesn't look to circumvent these requirements in your case.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .