I am planning to drive to Niagara Falls to see it from the Canadian side. I have heard good things about seeing it from the other side. So, I want to stay in Toronto for a day, see Niagara Falls and come back.

I have a green card, and, my wife is a citizen from US.

I have read this link, http://www.niagarafallslive.com/niagara_falls_travel_tips.htm, and this doesn't talk about person with a green card. So, could you advise if I can go to the Canadian side or give me links on this one? I am on an Indian passport.

EDIT: My experience: We went there at around 7:30 in the morning to avoid the long queue. The border security official asked us to give us our passports, I have given my green card as well with the passport, she asked the purpose of our visit and how many days we were planning to stay. The whole process took around 10 minutes, 7-8 minutes for waiting and 2-3 minutes with the official.

  • 3
    your edit would be better as an answer, Yoo. Glad you enjoyed Niagara! Sep 4, 2012 at 21:42
  • 1
    @would_like_to_be_anon So, you didn't contact Canadian consulate and didn't have any stamps in your Indian passport before you cross the Canadian board, right? I'm asking because since March 15th 2016 you would need to have Electronic Travel Authorization form. Just wondering do I need anything else apart from it.
    – IgorStack
    Feb 11, 2016 at 18:59
  • 2
    I didn't have to fill out any forms. It looks like ETA is required only if traveling by air. Am I right? Source: cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-start.asp (However, lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA if travelling by air.) Feb 11, 2016 at 19:38
  • 1
    @would_like_to_be_anon your second link also says that eTA is required only for air travel (or "transit" which these days implies air travel). Furthermore, US permanent residents don't need a passport to travel to Canada by land or sea.
    – phoog
    May 14, 2016 at 13:54
  • 1
    I went ahead and put the eTA information in the answer and not the question. May 15, 2016 at 3:08

3 Answers 3


Then normally, for most people, you would require a visa. However, keep reading, there is good news, I'm just including all information for future people reading this.

VisaHQ - for Indian passport, living in the US, you still need a visa, whether for business, tourist or transit purposes.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada also confirms - visitors to Canada from India require a visa.

The Niagara Falls Live Travel Tips page also confirms:

Persons wishing to travel to Canada whom are not U.S. citizens (ie: foreigner) may be required to get a tourist visa from the Canadian consulate in the country from which they are arriving from. If you are in the USA on a visa and wish to visit Canada while in New York there is a Canadian consulate located in Buffalo New York. YOU CANNOT OBTAIN A TOURIST VISA AT ANY OF THE BORDER CROSSINGS. When contacting the Consul, inform them that you wish to obtain a "temporary resident visa". As of April 1st 2012 the fee per person is $75 for a single entry visa, $150 for a multiple entry visa or $400 for a family (multiple or single entry).

However, going back to the Canadian Citizenship and Immigration page:

Visitor Visa Exemptions

Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include:

  • persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;

so it appears, in fact, that you would be totally fine, as you are in possession of a valid green card!

Update - As of 2016, there is a new entry requirement in effect. US Permanent Residents ("Green Card" holders) entering or transiting Canada by air must be approved for an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) to fly to or transit through Canada unless they are otherwise exempt. This requirement does not apply to those entering by land or sea.

  • 1
    Nice work Mark! Aug 21, 2012 at 18:10
  • 1
    Oh good! I can go. Thank you for including links with the information. I will print them and take them as well. Aug 21, 2012 at 18:42
  • 2
    No worries. At first it was looking like you'd need a visa, but was very happy when I found the exception on the CIC website. Let us know how it goes!
    – Mark Mayo
    Aug 21, 2012 at 18:44
  • Sure, will update when I come back. Aug 21, 2012 at 18:51

If you are a green card holder you do not need to get a visa to visit Canada. NOTICE if you are get in to Canada and stay more than 6 months, you must apply for a visaa

  • 4
    Do you have a link or reference for this?
    – Mark Mayo
    Jun 21, 2015 at 7:06

No, and not even a passport: just your Green Card (if entering by land. By air you'll need a passport with an ETA Registration and your Green card)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .