I am a British national and my husband and I have recently moved to Guernsey for work. He was granted a 2.5 year spousal visa.
He also had a Schengen visa in the last 5 years.

How can we go about applying for a 3 year multi-access Schengen visa so that we may travel to European countries?

  • Was his spouse visa issued by the Baliwick? Or did you move after receiving the visa? – Gayot Fow Mar 28 '17 at 14:37
  • We moved after receiving the Visa - on the Visa itself it says UK entry clearance? – Marielle Mar 28 '17 at 18:40
  • @GayotFow is that significant, and, if so, how? – phoog Mar 28 '17 at 19:52

How can we go about applying for a 3 year multi-access Schengen visa so that we may travel to European countries?

Apply at the appropriate consulate. There's no way to guarantee that they'll grant you a three-year multiple-entry visa, but your visa application will be free of charge thanks to the freedom of movement directive (2004/38/EC), and the decision is supposed to be made on the basis of an "expedited procedure." So if they don't grant a multiple-entry visa, you will only have to endure minimal additional hassle.

The appropriate consulate is the one for your "main destination." For more information, see Schengen main destination.

  • Thanks - would you recommend going directly to the consulate as opposed to getting a third party like TLS involved? – Marielle Mar 28 '17 at 18:36
  • @Marielle I would recommend whatever seems most convenient. For a normal visa application (not under the directive), there's not normally a choice. In your case, however, the consulate should take the application directly. If they resist, though, I suppose I wouldn't fight it too much. – phoog Mar 28 '17 at 19:16
  • Problem is we are situated in Guernsey and the consulate here have said they cannot help us and we must go to London - which is a pain – Marielle Mar 28 '17 at 19:24
  • @Marielle If the consulate won't help, I can't help you make them. Did you make it clear that you are British and that he will be applying under 2004/38/EC? You can also try entering without a visa -- getting one at the border -- by traveling directly to France. There have been a couple of questions on this site where people have reported success with this tactic. I don't know anything about direct travel between Guernsey and France, though; the ferry company might not let your husband board without a visa. – phoog Mar 28 '17 at 19:47

protected by phoog Nov 28 '17 at 19:09

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.