I'm an academic living in the Netherlands, originally from Palestine/Israel. In a couple of months I'll visit the US to attend an academic conference. Being an Israeli citizen, I need a visa to enter the US - and I have one, issued almost ten years ago and expiring a month after conference date; so - I can use it this time, but next time I won't have it. The visa is a B1/B2-class, type R.

My question:

  • Is it possible to renew / extend / get a new visa to enter the US based on my current conference invitation, even though I already have a valid one?
  • If so, is it a good idea to do this now, or should I just let my current visa expire and worry about it next time?

Since there is no guarantee of being issued a multi entry visa it is completely pointless to ask for one when you already have one that will admit you.

B1-B2 visas can not be extended. Your stay can be extended but the visa itself can't. You will need a new one.

Type R means nothing. It means "regular". Not a diplomat, not an official, not a dog.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.