I have to travel from Edinburgh to Belfast, and then Belfast back to London. But before that trip, I just applied for the Schengen Visa so my passport would be at the embassy, and I don't think I can get it back on time before my flights.

I am an international student from Thailand, on Tier4 visa. Am I allow to travel on that domestic route without my passport (I will fly with Flybe and Ryan air) ? Can I use my Biometric Residence Permit card instead?

  • BRP will be fine too.
    – DumbCoder
    Mar 24 '17 at 17:13

The UK has no restrictions on internal travel. You might require photo ID to board the flight, but that does not need to be a passport. Check with the airline for exactly what ID is acceptable.

  • Photo ID is up to the operator. BA never asks me for any ID at all. Eastern Airways and Flybe are more strict.
    – Calchas
    Mar 24 '17 at 16:05
  • I say it depends on the mood of the person checking IDs at the counter. It would suck if they didn't let you board because of a lack of ID.
    – user58558
    Mar 24 '17 at 18:26
  • Airlines usually have a list of acceptable IDs. Mar 24 '17 at 18:33

For UK travel, RyanAir states:

Any photo ID which matches the passenger name in the booking.

FlyBe has a long list, a few of which may apply to you:

  • Valid Government-issued identity card

(Presumably this would include a BRP)

  • NUS card (National Union of Students)
  • University/college ID card

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.