I recently received a working visa in Japan. However, I am planning to leave for South Korea for a short trip. I recall hearing something about needing a re-entry permit? Judging from this page it would seem it is not necessary, but I just want to double check with the community in case I'm missing something.

Is it necessary for me to have a re-entry permit into Japan while holding a work visa?



It is no longer necessary to obtain a re-entry permit if you are leaving Japan for up to one year and don't fall under a number of special cases which are not usually relevant for an ordinary person. Just be careful to tick the correct box on the departure form at the airport. More information here (see also here for the latest version of the departure form).

  • The card example on your link is a little outdated. See japaninfoswap.com/… for the latest one. It's a great improvement, because when filling out the old card I always had to pause and remember that while "special permanent resident" implies an extraordinary situation of permanent residency, "special re-entry permission" implied an ordinary departure.
    – Kent
    Mar 23 '17 at 6:27
  • @fkraiem Ahh the small print. My apologies, I shall remove my previous comment. Mar 23 '17 at 7:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.