I'm going to the US this May for an official event for students (ACM ICPC World Finals). I have a host invitation, I even have my name written in some special lists for the consulate.

Also, though being a student, I'm now part-time employed. I don't know what to write in a visa form as my primary occupation: student or worker? If I select that I'm a student then I cannot enter my job information (only option is previous job, and the date of dismission must be not later than today); same for vice-versa.

What is important that I'm working as a software engineer, and specialists in this area sometimes attract additional attention. Thus not filling job information may look really suspicious.

As of now I mentioned that my main occupation is a student and filled my current job as a previous job (with current date as a dismissal date), leaving a comment that in fact I'm still employed.

What should I answer to this question? It seems that I have to write incorrect or incomplete information in either way.

  • 1
    Are you a full-time student? Then I guess that is your primary occupation.
    – JoErNanO
    Commented Mar 15, 2017 at 15:17
  • @JoErNanO Yes, I am. But where should I notify the consulate about my job? Commented Mar 15, 2017 at 15:21

1 Answer 1


I assume you are filing DS-160

Your primary occupation is being a full-time student. If there is a field for explanation, please provide an additional explanation over there.

Alternatively, you can select "Other" and provide full explanation.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .