My United flight to Europe originally scheduled for tomorrow 3/14 has been cancelled. I got an email from United asking me to choose from various alternative flight options, however the "list of options" they gave is currently empty (it is a link, so could potentially have other options later).
There is a current "travel advisory" on their website for 3/14 and 3/15, saying change fees are waved (because of the impending snow storm). However, when I go to change my flight (through the usual "change flight" option on their website, as opposed to the "rebooking link" they sent me via email) there is a fare difference / fee associated with the change, about $2000. Upon closer inspection, the travel advisory states that there is no charge for changing to another United flight to the same destination, but United doesn't fly to my destination (I don't think) except through Star Alliance partners.
I am planning to call them to see what my options are, and I'm hoping they will give me some reasonable ones. What are they required to offer me in terms of alternative flight arrangements? There are plenty of star alliance partner flights available the next day 3/15, however United seems to be doing its best to get me to pay for these, rather than rebook me on them for free. Within what time frame are they required to rebook me? Are they allowed to make wait until there is available seat on a United flight (which might not be for another few days) when there are plenty of star alliance partner flights they could put me on?