Assuming a non-EU citizen is visiting the UK on a Standard Visitor Visa (or entered the UK without a visa, if their nationality doesn't require one), can they work remotely for a foreign company? If so, what are the rules for it?

We already have a great answer by Gayot Fow, but it contains a lot of information which has recently been updated, so it's best to have a separate question.

  • 1
    A difficult to read or poor answer to another question with the same content probably doesn't justify to ask a duplicate question. The question stays the same. Mar 12, 2017 at 15:18
  • 5
    Voting to leave open. The suggested duplicate is way too broad and the respective answer there is neither visible as first answer, nor does its main text seem to reflect all changes completely, even though the A is recently updated. This Q is well on-topic and has been asked by a mod who should know what they are doing.
    – mts
    Mar 12, 2017 at 16:23
  • 1
    @mts Having a little diamond by one's name doesn't make somebody infallible. Your other reasons are good. Mar 12, 2017 at 16:35
  • 1
    @mts I would also concider the other question too broad, but noone has suggested to close it because of that and both the question and many of the only partial answers have for some reason received a substantial number of upvotes. The community seem to disagree. Being a mod does not mean that Jonathan can't ask a question which should be concidered closed. Mar 12, 2017 at 16:46
  • 1
    It's worth adding that the suggested dupe asks entirely different question (for list of countries that you can legally work remotely from), and possibly is too broad itself. This question is specific to just UK.
    – Aida Paul
    Mar 12, 2017 at 16:48

1 Answer 1


Refer UK Immigration Rules, Appendix V, Part 4. Specifically sections 4.2, 4.5 and 4.7.

Section 4.2 (a) & (b) - The applicant must satisfy the decision maker that they are a genuine visitor...(a) will leave the UK at the end of their visit; and (b) will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home; and

Section 4.5 (f) - "The applicant must not intend to work in the UK, which includes the following...(f)providing goods and services"

Section 4.7 - "The applicant must not receive payment from a UK source for any activities undertaken in the UK".

Interpret them as you will but as 4.5 and 4.7 are somewhat contradictory, this question can't be answered conclusively except by a UK Immigration Officer.

Other members, who may appear to comment or Answer, indicate 4.7 is what would lead to a Yes answer for this question.

Note: These are admissibility rules, taxes are a completely different subject.

  • I am split on this - and, as you pointed out, tend to think that Section 4.7 would lead to a Yes answer.
    – Aleks G
    Mar 12, 2017 at 21:44
  • @AleksG Realistically, they have no reason to care if you're doing a job you already have. If 4.2 and 4.7 are satisfied, you're not taking a job from a local, which is what they are really looking out for, understandably.
    – DTRT
    Mar 13, 2017 at 21:49
  • Yes, I agree with that.
    – Aleks G
    Mar 13, 2017 at 22:24

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .