I have a visitor visa which expires on 14 April 2017. However, I am currently in Canada, as I arrived on March 8th 2017. The officer didn't stamp on my passport with the date I should leave, but instead with the day that I arrived in Canada.

Can I renew my visitor visa? I am planning to go to the US in May and return to Canada a week later. I tried calling the CIC several times, but no agent was available.

  • Do you have a single or multi-entry visa to Canada?
    – mkennedy
    Mar 12 '17 at 19:03
  • i have a multiple entry visa but it will expire on april 14 2017 Mar 12 '17 at 21:34
  • Sorry, Nicole, that was a stupid question on my part. Thank you for answering it.
    – mkennedy
    Mar 12 '17 at 21:43
  • so can someone please help me with as it is very important, i am just afraid when i ome back from the US, the canadian border won't let me in. What should i do? Mar 12 '17 at 21:46

Yes, you can apply to extend your stay as a visitor. If you passport is not stamped with the end date, it means you have 6 month, which is roughly September 8th 2017. You should apply no later then 30 days before the expiration date. The processing time for online application is 58 days, so I would advise to apply even earlier.

You can apply online or on paper using the official Canadian immigration web site

On the other hand, Canada used to have a little known rule similar to its US Automatic Visa Revalidation counterpart. Essentially, if you left Canada to the US (and only US), you can come back on expired visa within your original admission period.

PS. I have traveled Canada<->US multiple times, but I have never used this particular provision when entering Canada. In the US the CBP officers are sometimes unaware of its counterpart, which resulted in lengthy delays on the border for me. If you decide to travel with an expired visa, make sure you are carrying with you at least the relevant printout from the Canada Immigration Services site.

  • 2
    Since Nicole is authorized to stay until September, and she's asking about a trip to the US in May, extension of status is entirely irrelevant. Anyway, she is not asking about extension of stay, but about getting a new visa for hernext planned entry.
    – phoog
    Mar 12 '17 at 4:02
  • 2
    Down voters, please explain. I don't get it :( Thanks!
    – Gayot Fow
    Mar 12 '17 at 9:14
  • Thank you so much for the reply. However, no I am just visiting my children in Canada and going to the US to visit some friends. So meaning if I leave the country to go back to my country with an expired visitor visa, there will be no problem with my status in Canada? Mar 12 '17 at 16:32
  • @NicoleFernandez, can you clarify what countries do you mean by "the country" and by "your country"? However, if you leave Canada to the US (and travel to no other country), you should be able to reenter Canada before Sept 8th per my last link.
    – mzu
    Mar 13 '17 at 0:20
  • 1
    @GayotFow the question is asking about a trip to the US from Canada after the expiration of the Canadian visa, but during the period of admission. Extension of stay as a visitor concerns extending the period of admission, which does not help the situation described in the question. The planned trip to the US already falls within the period of admission. The problem is getting back into Canada after the visa has expired. (Canada, like the US, requires visas to be valid only at the time of entry; the period of admission is not related to the visa's expiration date.)
    – phoog
    Mar 13 '17 at 0:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.