I have a residence and work permit for Denmark and since I'm flying there for the first time, my passport has not been stamped. Do I need a transit visa if I'm travelling through Finland (since it's in Schengen area), if that is going to be my first port of entry?

Also, does the same apply for a layover in any other Schengen country?


1 Answer 1


I think this question answers the current one as well.

Give the following here:

third-country nationals who do not fulfil all the conditions laid down in paragraph 1 but who hold a residence permit or a long-stay visa shall be authorised to enter the territory of the other Member States for transit purposes so that they may reach the territory of the Member State which issued the residence permit or the long-stay visa, unless their names are on the national list of alerts of the Member State whose external borders they are seeking to cross and the alert is accompanied by instructions to refuse entry or transit

I think this applies to my case here as well.

  • More likely, you do meet the conditions in paragraph 1, in which case it's not a problem in the least, and you could even stay in Finland for several days before making your way to Denmark.
    – phoog
    Commented Mar 10, 2017 at 18:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .