I have a valid multiple-entry Schengen visa issued by the Spanish Consulate in Mumbai, India. I will be travelling to Spain on the 26th of March and then to the UK on 31st of March. Would I be able to travel to France when I leave the UK?

  • 4
    Please note that UK isn't part of Schengen area.
    – Laurent
    Commented Mar 9, 2017 at 12:46

1 Answer 1


A Schengen visa obtained by any of the Schengen Area member countries allows free movement to its holder within the whole Schengen Zone regarding the European Union Schengen members as well as the EFTA Schengen members, up to its validity and timeframe.

So the countries you can travel using a schengen visa are

Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. Plus Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania

The visa policy can be found here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_the_Schengen_Area

These countries apply the common visa policy for short stay visas

From these, Let me conclude that you can travel to Spain, France without restiction since all of them are schengen members but UK is not a schengen member.

More details can be found here : eeas.europa [pdf]

  • UK isn't part of Schengen...
    – Laurent
    Commented Mar 9, 2017 at 12:47
  • 5
    Please do not cite schengenvisainfo.com for truth -- it is a private website that exists solely to accumulate ad impressions, and its information is not kept accurate or up to date. (It kept claiming that there were such a thing as type-B visas for well over 5 years after they were abolished, for example). Commented Mar 9, 2017 at 12:54
  • 2
    @SagarV: That particular quote does not seem to be wrong, though the "regarding the European Union Schengen members as well as the EFTA Schengen members" part seems to be more confusing than informative. Commented Mar 9, 2017 at 13:20
  • 1
    Are you associated with schengenvisainfo.com?
    – Gayot Fow
    Commented Mar 9, 2017 at 17:05
  • 1
    @SagarV thanks, if you stick to the eu domains you'll be fine. I was wondering why you answered a question already addressed by one of the canonical's, hence my question. There's a Schengen 'go to' thread in META you might consider adding to.
    – Gayot Fow
    Commented Mar 9, 2017 at 17:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .