I am a US citizen with a valid American passport, currently living in Poland (I'm Polish American). I am thinking about traveling to Japan for a couple of weeks and then returning back to Poland. Do you know if I can use my American passport for that?

  • 2
    Welcome to the site! Can you expand on your problem a little bit? Why wouldn't using your US passport be okay? – JonathanReez Mar 5 '17 at 14:19
  • How did you enter Poland in the first place? – phoog Mar 5 '17 at 18:54
  • @phoog - I live in Poland since when I was 4. @JonathanReez - Why wouldn't using your US passport be okay? - this is exactly what I want to know, because I'm not sure. – Adrian Wydmanski Mar 5 '17 at 20:27
  • And you haven't left Poland since you were 4? Or you've only traveled in the EU? – phoog Mar 5 '17 at 22:25

US citizens get visa free entry into Japan for short stays like you are planning.

  • Do you know if there could be any problems with me retuning back to Poland on American passport? – Adrian Wydmanski Mar 5 '17 at 14:03
  • That I suppose would depend on your current status in Poland. Do you have a residence permit or are you flying under the radar or dual citizenship? – user13044 Mar 5 '17 at 14:05
  • 1
    I have dual citizenship, Polish and American. Basically I could apply for a Polish passport, but since my American passport is valid, then I don't know if there's a need for that. – Adrian Wydmanski Mar 5 '17 at 14:06
  • 1
    Not sure of Poland's rules, but most countries require you to enter and exit on their passport if you are a citizen. If you have both passports, then use the US one for Japan and the Polish one for entering & exiting Poland. If you only have a US passport, then perhaps someone can chime in on Poland's exact rules on the matter. – user13044 Mar 5 '17 at 14:09
  • 2
    Getting the passport is a good idea, especially with the current threats of forcing visa rules on Americans to visit the EU. – user13044 Mar 5 '17 at 14:14

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.