Just to clarify, I am a non-EU & have no visa-free access to Europe nor UK.

However, I have been granted a 6 month UK visit visa & I intend to travel to Edinburgh for a week before flying to France (for 2 days of travel) and finally back to Switzerland.

Now, I am currently residing in Switzerland and have a Swiss residence permit. I understand that with it, we can visit other schengen countries (subject to 90/180).

What I would like to confirm is that during the validity of the permit, it functions as a "Multiple-entry visa" of sorts ? (to put it loosely). So in essence, with this permit (well within its validity) + my passport, I can leave Switzerland for UK and come back with no issues ? (I have a UK visa too of course).

Issues as in like gate agents asking for proof of visa etc. I understand that entry to the country ultimately lies with the immigration officers

  • yes, this is all fine
    – Gayot Fow
    Mar 3, 2017 at 19:58
  • You do have a 'proper' residence permit, or do you just have a long-term type D visa? A type D visa also allows you to reside in Switzerland (up to one year) and is therefore often colloquially called a 'residence permit' even if there are relevant differences. A type D visa can have a restricted number of allowed entries, meaning that you will not be allowed to reenter the Schengen area if the allowed number of entries has been used up. Mar 3, 2017 at 23:14

1 Answer 1


The residence permit lets you enter and exit the Schengen Area during its validity, so yes, no problems entering France with it - on the trip back, you only clear immigration in France, and not Switzerland (as France-Switzerland flights are effectively domestic)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .