To obtain as Ukrainian Citizen a Schengen Tourist Visa for visiting Portugal, do I need to book my holiday home through a traveling agency or can I use any offer on holiday rentals from an Internet Platform (global or local) and ask the property owner to write a booking confirmation letter to the embassy?

Would that letter be accepted by the embassy, if the holiday home is registered as holiday home with the Portuguese Ministry of Tourism?


can this proof be scanned and sent by email or do you need to present the original at the embassy?

1 Answer 1


The proof of accommodation for a Schengen visa application needs to be a document stating that you have reserved an accommodation for the length of the stay and that the reservation is confirmed:

enter image description here

Whether you are staying in a hostel, a rented room or a 5* hotel does not matter. Since you want to rent a house, you can rent it directly from the owner. At that point you should sign a rental contract stating the duration of the stay, the cost of the rental, the conditions, etc. This contract, signed by all parties, is a valid proof of accommodation.

As an added tip, I would suggest you sign an extra copy of the contract specifically for the embassy, to be included in your visa application.

  • would they accept a rental conrtact signed and scanned and then sent by email?
    – Vickel
    Mar 1, 2017 at 17:36
  • @Vickel I would guess yes. The hotel reservation one usually sends are not "original" copies per se, they are printouts of confirmation emails. However, if you are going to the embassy for an interview, take a copy of the contract with you. Even better, sign an extra copy just for the embassy.
    – JoErNanO
    Mar 1, 2017 at 17:39
  • I've not accepted your answer (yet), because the document you attached in your answer is about getting a Schengen Visa for someone who holds currently a UK Visa. My specific case is about the documents needed for an Ukrainian citizen to get their tourist visa in the Portuguese consulate of Kiev.
    – Vickel
    Mar 2, 2017 at 22:09
  • 1
    There has been a turnaround, now the embassy's employee wants notarized signatures, I don't feel the property owner will do that, just because of the time and money they'll need to spend... what now?
    – Vickel
    Apr 23, 2017 at 21:38
  • 1
    @Vickel Wow that's a harsh requirement. I'm not even sure it's legal. I'll ask Gayot. Anyway if you're in a rush I'm sure the house owner will get a notarised signature if you pay for it.
    – JoErNanO
    Apr 24, 2017 at 6:19

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .