I am trying to find a route from Helsinki, Finland to Washington, DC, USA so that the air time is minimized, as the person travelling is afraid of an air travel. Assume, visas are not a problem.
Basically, I am looking for a shortest non-stop transatlantic flight originating in Europe and landing somewhere, from where Washington, DC can be reached by land (with possible ferry).
It seems there are 2 possible routes:
- land/ferry to Iceland, then Keflavik -> (Greenland, ferry) -> Canada -> Land to US
- Land to London, then LHR -> Canada -> Land to US
- What is the absolute shortest flight time from KEF to any point in Canada?
- What is the absolute shortest flight time from London to any point in Canada?
- I was not able to find any regular transportation between points in Greenland and points in Canada. Did I miss something?
- What are good points of embarkation in Canada? Halifax? St John's?
Any other possible routes I missed?
I am seeking a factual basis to decide between:
- investing in air-travel phobia therapy and attempting regular HEL->JFK
- travelling via cruise liner
- travelling via freight vessel
- attempting to minimize air travel time by covering some part by land.
However, this question's scope is limited to just minimizing air travel time.
- The shortest flight would be either KEF->YHZ (Halifax) 4:30, seasonal
- Second shortest (but much more easy accessible from Europe) is DUB->YYT (St John's) 4:55, seasonal
and thank everyone who contributed to the whole spectrum of the answers collected