The website of Real Russia states:

There are two main formats of visa being issued by Russian consulates at the moment (in addition to the rare separate paper version)

As does the website of RSPB Travel:

A Russian visa is a special document either stamped to your passport or issued on a separate paper, that grants you a permit to enter and to leave the Russian Federation during a specified period of time.

I wonder in what circumstances you could get such a stand-alone Russian visa, and at what consulates?

  • I obtained such a separate paper visa from an application within Russia (already had a single-entry which was the sticker kind, got a new multiple-entry that came as a separate paper card). – ajd Feb 26 '17 at 23:47

As outlined in the related question, there could be several reasons:

  • The "visa" is a residence permit. In Russia it has the form of a passport booklet.

  • Russia doesn't recognize the applicant's state of citizenship (for example, Kosovo), so they put their visa sticker on a separate piece of paper.

  • You lost your passport after entering Russia and need to show proof of the legality of your stay.

  • You don't have a passport at all, so there's no place where to put the visa (e.g. you're the British Queen).

Overall I wouldn't count on it as a regular tourist.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.