A person in the United States has an expired foreign passport and a Green Card.

Can he/she leave the United States with no issues to go to their home country?

Let's assume for the purpose of this question there is no transit point during flight. Let's assume further that the entry on an expired passport is allowed under the laws of that country.


2 Answers 2


A passport is not required for green card holders to enter/exit the US, only a valid green card.

In fact, the US has no border control on exit.

So, if the other country accepts the expired passport, this trip is 100% fine.

  • 6
    And, if you're traveling by air, the airline needs to accept it too. Commented Feb 24, 2017 at 18:12
  • @ZachLipton The vast majority don't have their own rules, but refer you to "the embassy" of the destination country.
    – Crazydre
    Commented Feb 24, 2017 at 18:22
  • "no border control on exit": but airlines are supposed to enforce the documentation requirements for departing passengers.
    – phoog
    Commented Feb 24, 2017 at 21:19
  • 3
    @phoog Requirements which a valid green card alone fulfils
    – Crazydre
    Commented Feb 24, 2017 at 21:35
  • That is correct.
    – phoog
    Commented Feb 24, 2017 at 22:37

There is no exit check on US borders, so the US can't stop you from exiting the country. You also don't need a passport for entry, just your Green Card.

However -

  • Your airline would very likely not check you in and refuse you to board;
  • Your destination country (even if it's your country of citizenship) would very likely deny you entry.

So, although you CAN exit and enter the US, there is nowhere much you could go.

  • 4
    There are countries that always let citizens in with expired passports and airlines know that. The UK is one that comes to my mind. And most or all countries let citizens in as long as they can proof they are citizens, even without a passport.
    – Willeke
    Commented Feb 24, 2017 at 21:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .