I am a non-EU student studying in a Scandinavian country. I have been offered a chance to do an internship in Germany which is less than 90 days. I hold a student residence permit (Schengen) for the country am studying in.

Do I need a work visa for Germany for the internship?

  • Is the internship paid?
    – JonathanReez
    Feb 21 '17 at 9:43
  • @JonathanReez no
    – Jacob
    Feb 22 '17 at 10:04
  • If the company for which you will work doesn't ask you to apply for a visa, I'd just go regardless of the rules
    – JonathanReez
    Feb 22 '17 at 10:27

According to Young Germany:

Do I need a visa if I am not from Germany?

If you are an EU citizen, you don't need a work permit. If you are a non-EU citizen, you do. If you are studying and living outside Germany and applying for an internship in Germany, you will need to organize a work permit before you are allowed to undertake an internship. You will also need health insurance, which is compulsory for anyone working in Germany, and necessary for getting a work permit.

Therefore the answer is yes, you will need a work permit before coming to Germany for work. However if your employer doesn't ask you to apply for one, you might as well get away with going to Germany on a regular visa, especially since the internship is unpaid.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.