I am an Indian national living in USA on a H1B1 visa. I will be travelling to Nepal from India, from the 13th to 18th June 2017 along with my wife and 8 year old son. Our passports will submitted to the American Embassy for visa renewal. I and my wife shall carry our voter ID cards to Nepal but what documents should my son carry? He has a valid Aadhaar card.

1 Answer 1


As per Bureau of Immigration (emphasis mine)

Identity documents required for Indian Citizen going to / coming from Nepal by Air :-

(i) Valid National Passport.

(ii) Photo Identity card issued by the Government of India/State Govt./UT Administration in India to their employees or Election ID card issued by the Election Commission of India.

(iii) Emergency Certificate issued by Embassy of India, Kathmandu.

(iv) Identity Certificate issued by Embassy of India, Kathmandu.

(v) Persons in the age of group of above 65 years and below 15 years would be exempted from the requirement of approved identity documents mentioned at SL. No. (i), (ii), (iii) and (iv). However, they must have some documents with photograph to confirm their age and identity such as PAN card, Driving license, CGHS card, Ration card etc.

(vi) Children between the age group of 15 to 18 years may be allowed to travel between India and Nepal on the strength of Identity certificate issued by the principal of the school in the prescribed performa.

(vii) In case of a family (family means husband, wife, minor children and parents) traveling together, the approved identification documents at SL. No. (i), (ii), (iii) and (iv) would not be insisted from all the family members if one of the adult members of the family has in possession of one of the prescribed identification documents at SL. No. (i), (ii), (iii) and (iv). However, the other family members must have some proof of their identity with photograph and their relationship as a family viz. CGHS card, Ration card, Driving license,ID card issued by school/college etc.

Note: - Aadhaar (UID) card is not an acceptable travel document for travel to Nepal/Bhutan.

As you are (presumably) travelling as a family, only one of you needs to have a passport or voter i-card. The rest need a valid photo ID showing status as a family (Driving License will do). Unfortunately UID (Aadhar Card) is NOT a valid photo id proof.

For your minor son, there are very limited options-

  • Ration card - I am not sure Photo ration cards are issued anywhere
  • School I-card - If you are resident in US and his school is in the US, I am not 100% sure that immigration officials will accept it.
  • Passport - This is the best bet if you can defer/accelerate the renewal process

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .