My partner and I are planning a road trip from North Carolina, USA to California, USA starting in September and finishing in December. We were thinking of buying a car when we get there, then selling it at the other end but are unsure about Tax/Insurance/MOT etc in USA. Hiring a car seems quite pricey for three months (cheapest we can find is about $1,000).

What would be the best way of doing this?

closed as primarily opinion-based by JoErNanO, Ali Awan, davidb, Itai, VMAtm Feb 16 '17 at 16:00

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Hi and welcome. The cheapest way of doing this is most probably by hitch-hiking. However this might not be compatible with your style of travel. Since best and cheapest are subjective criteria, we don't really deal with these questions on Travel.SE. Try reading the Help Centre to get a better understanding of how this site work and then edit the question to make it answerable. – JoErNanO Feb 16 '17 at 15:39
  • 2
    By far the cheapest way is hiring a car. Do that. – Fattie Feb 16 '17 at 15:47
  • 1
    Jo, the question very obviously means cheapest way to "get a car" for a road trip. This is an excellent question - although I believe it has been asked a number of times. – Fattie Feb 16 '17 at 15:50
  • 1
    Buying a car in the US, registering it as a non-resident, titling it as a non resident, and obtaining insurance as a non-resident, will cost you more than 1000 USD. It will probably also take you a few weeks to a month to obtain all the necessary paperwork after purchasing the vehicle. – Calchas Feb 16 '17 at 15:51
  • 1
    Possible duplicate of One Way Road Trip – Itai Feb 16 '17 at 15:55