I am Filipino citizen and I have a National Visa (Type D) valid but I want to go to Istanbul, Turkey first with an e-Visa. Philippine Passport holders can visit Turkey for 30 days with an e-Visa as long as they have an active Schengen visa/Residence permit.

The problem is, I have a scholarship and I need to show proof (plane tickets) that I departed from my home country and landed in the Schengen area. I might get into trouble with my scholarship if they see that I went to Turkey first - it's too complicated to explain this to them because I'm basically just going to be a tourist there.

My other reason of going to Amsterdam first and then flying to Turkey is because it is cheaper. It will only cost me $700 and if I go straight to Istanbul and then to Amsterdam it'll be almost $900.

Is there some kind of a rule/minimum days of stay in the Schengen area for an individual before he/she can leave the Schengen, whatsoever?

I have a multiple entry visa. I just don't want to get into trouble for only spending one day in the EU and then going to Turkey for two weeks and then coming back again.

Will that be somewhat problematic?

  • I can go back again after 2 weeks of being in Turkey, right?
    – David J.
    Feb 8, 2017 at 13:45
  • One remark on your visa says that you have to register your presence with the immigration authorities at your place of residence immediately after entry. Similar remarks are quite common on German D visas and is just a reminder that you have to register with the immigration authorities after having moved to Germany. I have however never seen the specification 'immediately' used like this and would not be sure if you violate the requirement if you enter the Schengen area, go to Turkey for two weeks and not until then go to your place of residence to register. Feb 8, 2017 at 13:54
  • 2
    @PaultheSheik The OP has a type D visa for Germany. An LTV visa is a special form of the type C (short-term) visa and completely irrelevant for this question. Feb 8, 2017 at 14:58
  • 2
    @PaultheSheik I follow the conversation and understand you perfectly well. The OP has a German type D visa and asked (additionally in a comment) if he can visit other Schengen countries. You answered that he can do it, unless he has an LTV visa. The problem is, that there is no such thing as a type D visa with limited territorial validity. A type D visa always gives you the right to travel to other Schengen states (max 90 days in a 180 days period). Feb 8, 2017 at 15:28
  • 2
    @SheikPaul please do not engage in ad hominem attacks.
    – phoog
    Feb 9, 2017 at 15:48

1 Answer 1


Is there some kind of a rule/minimum days of stay in the Schengen area for an individual before he/she can leave the Schengen, whatsoever?

No, of course not. Plenty of people enter the Schengen area for a few hours, for example during a long layover. However be aware that you will have an exit stamp next to your entry stamp, so it would be easy to infer you immediately left if someone takes a look at your passport.

Will that be somewhat problematic?

Neither the Schengen border guards nor the visa issuing agencies in the respective countries care about your visits, as long as they're within the duration of the visa. However we have no way of knowing if you'll get in trouble with whoever issued you the scholarship.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .