Mr A. with Ukrainian citizenship and a green card (I-551) wants to visit Canada, by air, for about three days and return to the US. Mr A does not want to renew his Ukrainian passport and wants to use I-327 (Permit to Reenter the United States), Alien's Passport instead.

Does he need a Canadian visa?

The sources are conflicting:

  • Canadian Immigration says that

    as a U.S. Green Card holder, you do not need a visitor visa to travel to Canada

  • Canadian Immigration eTa page says that

    if you are travelling with a travel document issued to non-citizens, such as an alien passport ...you need to apply for a visa to visit ... Canada.

  • Now Wikipedia says that when traveling by land only green card is required for Mr A.

Does the answer change for land entry?

1 Answer 1


If travelling by land, only the green card is required (no passport or other travel document is needed).

If travelling by air, you need the green card and a travel document, either a passport, I-327 or I-571. So you'd need to apply for an eTA using your I-327, and present your I-327 and green card at the Canadian airport.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .