When renewing my US passport, I need to send a 2" × 2" photo in to the State Dept. Is that just the size of the photo image or the size of the whole thing? That is to say, can I print my 2×2 photo on 3×5 paper and send that in with a white border?

  • 2" x 2" means square. Interesting, I thought passport picture are always rectangles. Are all US passport pictures square? – Belle Jan 27 '17 at 18:50
  • @pnuts because my snips might not be perfect enough? I dunno, I figure they have some cropping machine that trims it to the exact size? – Nick T Jan 27 '17 at 18:59
  • Use a photo cutter... or paper cutter. They are about $12 at walmart... – maplemale Jan 27 '17 at 19:00
  • I do not know about where you live, but here when you get passport photos taken in a shop they happily cut them to size for you, with a machine which will always get the size right. – Willeke Jan 27 '17 at 19:07
  • @pnuts Not sure about the UK... but I have a mix of Canadian and US passports in my family... the Canadian ones are a LOT more ridged in various ways and a bit different. Example: You can't smile in a Canadian passport... and they seem a lot more picky about sizes and trimming. – maplemale Jan 28 '17 at 3:27

The exact rules read "Photo should be 2”x2” (51 x 51 mm) with the head centered and sized between 1” and 1.4” (25 and 35 mm)."

This: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photo-examples.html

Shows multiple examples of OK and not OK photos. I see no examples where a 2x2 photo on a larger media is OK. We personally cut our photos 2 x 2 and have never had an issue (very straight/even with a photo cutter)

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    ... which seems to tell us that the required tolerance on the cutting is 1 mm or better (otherwise they would probably have written 5 cm rather than 51 mm), but that it doesn't need to be better than 0.2 mm (since that is the difference between 2" and 51 mm). – hmakholm left over Monica Jan 28 '17 at 9:15
  • 4
    @HenningMakholm I think you're probably reading too much into that. – David Richerby Jan 28 '17 at 13:21

2X2 is the size of the whole thing or paper. For exact measurements of the image itself, see:



It answers all your questions.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.