I lost my passport and reported it to the police. It had a US visa in it. I neglected to report the lost visa to the embassy. I replaced the passport and later found the old passport with the visa on it.

Can I still use the old US visa or do I have to get a new one too?

I am asking because I don't know what to do about never reporting the visa as lost. Would it look suspicious?

  • 3
    Can you contact the police or foreign ministry and get the old passport punched, as would normally be done when you get it renewed? Then you can present both passports when entering the US and everything will look normal. Jan 26, 2017 at 15:32
  • 3
    @phoog It's hard to get in touch with the consulate. I've tried emailing and only got automated responses. I'm not sure I can use other means to contact them. Jan 26, 2017 at 16:15
  • 6
    Possible duplicate of Lost passport with a valid visa on it, replaced passport, then found it
    – phoog
    Jan 26, 2017 at 16:19
  • 4
    @phoog Not a duplicate. Here the OP reported to the police but not the embassy, there the OP reported to the embassy.
    – user40521
    Jan 26, 2017 at 16:31
  • 2
    @phoog The question you are linking to is not a duplicate. In the linked question, the lost visa was reported to the US embassy. In this question, passportloser clearly states that he has not reported a loss of the visa to the US authorities. Jan 26, 2017 at 16:31

1 Answer 1


As long as the Visa is unexpired and undamaged you can travel with it to enter the US. You will need to present both passports when entering the country.

  • 3
    How do you derive that from the page you are linking to? Jan 26, 2017 at 17:28

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .