For visiting Argentina, Chinese nationals can follow the following procedure if they have a schengen visa:

Chinese citizens - Not born in Argentina- holding Chinese Ordinary Passports, who are going to Argentina for tourism DO NOT require a visa if they have a valid “ USA visa (category B2) or Schengen visa” but must pay an entry fee (AVE) in order to visit the country.

Is holding a EU residence card equivalent to the Schengen visa to obtain the AVE?

  • Side note: According to timatic (timaticweb2.com/integration/…), an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) is also required. Perhaps there is more information on the ETA website? – DCTLib Jan 26 '17 at 9:34
  • @pnuts but American visas are specifically indicated as "B2," which leads me to doubt that the intent is clear in any way. Does it really apply only to B-2 visas? Why not B-1? Surely, though, if a US green card doesn't count, neither would an EU residence card. – phoog Jan 26 '17 at 16:05
  • It would probably wise to contact the PRC Embassy in Argentina for a more definitive answer. – Declanmar Feb 15 '17 at 7:57

According to the Argentian consulate in Canada:

Chinese passport holders who have a valid B2 American visa or a Schengen visa will require an electronic travel authorization (AVE) when travelling to Argentina as tourist for a period up to 90 days.

Therefore as long as you are able to submit an AVE authorization with your residency card, you should be fine to enter Argentina visa-free. A residency card is indeed a form of a visa and I'm not aware of any country denying that for the purpose of visa-free travel.

According to a Chinese forum you will need to upload a scan of your visa during the process so you will immediately know if it's rejected.

| improve this answer | |
  • This does not answer the question: the quoted material is essentially the same as that in the question, and the last sentence is pure speculation. – phoog Mar 24 '17 at 14:46
  • @phoog sadly the only way to find out for sure is to spend $50 on paying the AVE fee. Afterwards you're allowed to input your details. – JonathanReez Mar 24 '17 at 15:18
  • @phoog post updated with a bit more info – JonathanReez Mar 24 '17 at 15:28
  • Thanks. I'm still not convinced. I agree that it is very likely that the specification by Argentina is imprecise, but I have yet to see any convincing evidence showing how the system actually works (and, I'm afraid, the link you added is not helpful to me because I do not read Chinese, and the machine-translated version I got was too opaque to decipher). To be clear, my first concern is that if they truly only accept US visas if they are type B-2, then that would imply that they interpret "Schengen visa" narrowly. – phoog Mar 24 '17 at 17:58
  • @phoog point taken. I will email their website to clarify. – JonathanReez Mar 24 '17 at 18:06

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.