Does a minor need their parents' permission to apply for a visa and to travel unaccompanied to another country?

I am a 15-year-old Tunisian and want to attend a K-Pop training program in South Korea.

  • 1
    I love your question. Tell us this: do you have a contract with a company to be trained for K-Pop and, if yes, what country it is in? – Giorgio Jan 24 '17 at 20:16
  • 8
    I'd double check to make sure you aren't being scammed. The offer sounds too good to be true. – JonathanReez Jan 24 '17 at 22:31
  • 11
    This sets off all kind of alarm bells. A minor girl, setting out to travel internationally across half a planet for a nebulous much-too-good-to-be-true job offer -- and apparently being encouraged to make arrangements without her parents' knowledge? I smell not just a scam but trafficking. Seriously, run! Or at the very least get an adult you know and trust to help unravel things for you -- not random people on the internet. – hmakholm left over Monica Jan 25 '17 at 11:53
  • 4
    You're 15, and those of us who are connecting with you here are very concerned for your well being. It sounds like your parents are, too, and are not in favor of you going off to Korea for two years, on your own. If your dream is to be a performer, try to find a program that your parents will let you attend, one that is closer to home, – Giorgio Jan 25 '17 at 14:25
  • 9
    @Rahma: "How bad could it be?" Instead of on a stage, you could end up enslaved in a brothel, with no money, no papers, no contacts, in a society whose language you don't speak even if your manage to escape -- that's how bad. And based on what you're saying, the latter sounds like a more likely outcome. Korea doesn't hand out citizenships to people just for being present in the country when they turn 18. You may have a dream, but you're being lied to by people who claim they can make it come true. – hmakholm left over Monica Jan 25 '17 at 18:55

The official visa page of the South Korean embassy in Tunisia doesn't mention such a restriction, however it's likely that they will ask you for a signed permission from your parents as it's standard policy of most consulates worldwide.

Regardless of the visa requirements, you should be extremely careful about offers from abroad that sound too good to be true. There are hundreds of thousands of teenagers in South Korea itself who would love to enter a "K-Pop training program", so I'd be very suspicious if someone invited an underage person for a "chance to become an idol". If you do plan to go, please double check with your parents and then double check with the Korean consulate if the program is actually legitimate. You do not want to end up in South Korea as a victim of human trafficking, so please apply serious scrutiny before you leave.


Does a minor need a parents permission to apply for a visa and to travel unaccompanied to another country?

Absolutely. Example for Canada

If a minor child is travelling alone

The child should present:

a letter of authorization, in English or French if possible, and signed by both parents or by their legal guardian which lists: the parents’ (or legal guardian’s) address and telephone number, and the name, address and telephone number of the adult who will look after the child in Canada.

United Kingdom

You can travel to the UK without an adult (someone over the age of 18).

Your parent or guardian will need to provide their:

written consent for you to travel to the UK

South Africa a Parental Consent Affidavit is required, here is a Sample. And so forth.

Most airlines won't accept a minor child (although the age for that varies) without parental consent either.

  • Thank you so much . I'm fifteen my parents won't make it to go Municipal so I'm wondering if I can go alone and bring all the papers i should present . And what are the requirements For South-Korea ? – Rahma Azzouz Jan 24 '17 at 20:34

Do you have your passport already? The majority of countries require a parents signature for a minor to apply for the passport. And showing up without them, with an already signed application, will likely be refused as there is no way to prove your parents actually signed the document.

Can you apply for a visa without your parents? You need to call the South Korea Embassy to find out their rules on issuing visas to minors. Each country's regulations vary and those rules can even vary from consular location to consular location (ie rules for Korean visas issued in the UK can be different than rules for Tunisia).

Can you leave the country and fly without your parents? You need to confirm rules with the airline you plan to fly on out of Tunisia what their rules are for boarding minors on international flights. You also need to confirm with the South Korean Embassy what rules apply to you when you actually enter the country (assuming they issue a visa). It is highly likely you will need at a minimum a notarized letter from your parents authorizing you to travel without them (which means your parents WILL need to go to the municipal offices or other offices authorized to notarize / certify a signature).

But one has to ask, since your parents seem unwilling to help you with your procedures, do you actually have their permission to do this?

  • Tom I have a passeport . I want to finish the work without my parents help , going to to the municipal making the visa and getting tickets . And yes let's say that they're ok but really can't go to the municipal . – Rahma Azzouz Jan 25 '17 at 11:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.