I'm a native born American currently living in Israel as a citizen (dual citizenship).

Can I leave Israel to travel to Europe with only my Israeli passport, or is my US one a 'must have'?

  • Are you asking about legal requirements or practical considerations? – phoog Jan 12 '17 at 17:34
  • 1
    @pnuts Not relevant - Israelis are the only nationals granted visa-free access to the entire European continent. Not even EU citizens are granted that (Belarus and Russia require visas) – Crazydre Jan 12 '17 at 20:10

To exit Israel, all you need is your Israeli passport. Israelis are uniquely granted visa-free access to all of Europe.

So if Europe's where you're going, your US passport will not be needed


There's no requirement for you to take your US passport with you on a trip to Europe. However, it is a good idea to do so. For example, you might have a sudden need to travel unexpectedly to the US, such as a friend or family member falling seriously ill, and doing that will be far more complicated if you don't have your US passport with you.

  • 4
    I disagree. Whenever I go somewhere I always take the least amount of necessary documents, cards, and so on. Doing so, the trouble and hassle to re-do everything in case I lose my wallet/documents is minimised. – Estey Jan 13 '17 at 7:47
  • 4
    @Estey You can always keep your second passport in a different place from your first, as I usually do, to reduce the chance of losing them both at once. Having the spare can come in handy; this is one of the advantages of dual citizenship. I suppose it comes down to which of two unlikely events one thinks will be more likely to occur. – phoog Jan 13 '17 at 14:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.