I am a Canadian permanent resident and living in Canada. I am originally from Afghanistan and would like to visit my girlfriend in Japan. I know Canadian passport holder can simply enter into Japan without a visa and as a permanent resident of Canada can I also enter Japan without a visa for 30 days?

  • I live in Vancouver Jan 11 '17 at 6:41
  • 10
    Permanent Residence status is not citizenship and the majority of visa / entry rules are based on citizenship.
    – user13044
    Jan 11 '17 at 8:02
  • 2
    One of the extremely few exceptions to the rule @Tom mentions is the Schengen transit visa: holders of a valid residence permit issued by Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino or the United States of America do not need a Schengen transit visa. Do note this is only the transit visa, the short stay visa does not have such an exception.
    – chx
    Jan 11 '17 at 12:07

I am afraid NO, as an Afghan national and Canadian permanent resident you need a proper visitor's visa. Answer is from official Consulate-General of Japan in Vancouver:

I am a permanent resident of Canada. Do I need a tourist visa?

It depends on your nationality or the passport you hold. If you hold a passport of a country with a reciprocal visa exemption arrangement with Japan, you do not need a visa to enter Japan as a tourist. Otherwise, you need one. More on Temporary Visitor's Visas.

Unfortunately Afghanistan is not listed in those countries who are listed as a visa exempted country. Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs Japan. Therefore as an Canadian permenant resident and Afghan national you will need a proper Japan temporary visitor's visa.

Moreover, details regarding temporary visitors visa can be obtained from the following website:

Temporary Visitor's Visa Consulate-General of Japan in Vancouver.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.