I have dual citizenship of USA and Egypt. I am a student in England and hold a Biometric Residence Permit. My nationality on the BRP is Egyptian since I had applied for my Student Visa from Egypt.

Can I travel from London to Paris with my USA passport (no visa required) and return to England with my BRP?

  • 7
    You only need to use your BPR at the UK controls, you can use your American passport everywhere else in the EEA
    – Gayot Fow
    Commented Jan 9, 2017 at 19:30
  • 1
    @GayotFow that should be an answer.
    – user4188
    Commented Jan 16, 2017 at 14:38
  • @chx we need to see if a noob wants to create an answer. If not, yeah we can come in and answer it :) But give them a chance please...
    – Gayot Fow
    Commented Jan 16, 2017 at 15:43
  • @Crazydre nobody said 'stand-alone'. It provides leave-to-enter authority just like a visa affixed to a passport page. And per my comment, it is recognised only by UK authorities.
    – Gayot Fow
    Commented Feb 8, 2017 at 17:00

2 Answers 2


For entry to France, from Consulate General of France in Chicago:

American passport holders are not required to obtain a visa prior to visiting France -as tourists- for up to 90 days per semester (6 months).

For re-entry to UK, from GOV.UK:

You can use your BRP to confirm your:

  • identity
  • right to study or work in the UK
  • right to any public services or benefits you’re entitled to

Yes, you can use your US passport for France.

When re-entering the UK, present your Egyptian passport and BRP. This also goes for the Eurostar-run UK exit checks if going to France by train (before French border control)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .