I have a flight from Greensboro, NC (USA) to Melbourne (Australia) coming soon and this is my first time leaving USA. I am not a US passport holder, just have a visit visa. The legs look like this:
- Greensboro, NC -> Dallas/Fort Worth Airport, TX (layover: 59 minutes)
- Dallas, TX -> Sydney (Australia), and so on.
Given the layover time is less than one hour, I was concerned and asked my travel agent to change it. They are asking for a quite a bit of money and said it is still over the the minimum connection time so a 'legal' connection. I am not overly confident about their remarks.
Can anyone tell me exactly what steps are involved in a outbound domestic to international connection in USA?
Specifically, do I need to:
- Collect my luggage at Dallas?
- Depart domestic terminal, go to international terminal and re-check the luggage?
- Again go through the Immigration and Security to board the international flight?
I have a bad experience when I was coming to USA due to a short layover time. The first flight was delayed from Melbourne and I missed the connecting flight due to wrong instructions from airport staff. I was put on standby and AA gave me a flight after 18 hours.
Disclaimer: I have searched quite a bit and mostly found questions involving international to domestic transfer, which does not apply to me.