I'm a U.S. citizen, about to go from Boston to London. I thought ESTA was for non-citizens entering USA. But the airline shows me a web page saying I must have it to go to or from USA or UK. And not a word to suggest that it doesn't apply to all nationalities.

The application form suggests that my first thought was correct and that I don't need it. Since my first leg to BOS boards forty hours from now, this is a disturbing development.

Am I right (not needed) or are they right (I'm in trouble)?

UPDATE: Since I posted the question, they roamed the word "from" and it now says "Visa Waiver Program When travelling to the USA,United Kingdom, all passengers eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for an Electronic System Travel Authorisation (ESTA). Read more"

Clicking on "read more" says a lot about both USA and UK.

  • 3
    Can you link the airline's webpage (or take a screenshot and post that), because that information seems rather wrong indeed, and I'm curious how exactly they've phrased it. Jan 7, 2017 at 22:22
  • Is it possible you made a mistake on an earlier screen when entering your nationality / passport info? Jan 7, 2017 at 22:29
  • Why do you keep quoting a few words at a time from a website without actually revealing a link to it? Jan 8, 2017 at 0:20
  • 1
    Because the URI has parameters containing private info. And the rest of the page is completely irrelevant to the topic. Only that part relates to ESTA. What do you mean by "keep"? If you are "following" me, you know that I frequently paste URIs.
    – WGroleau
    Jan 8, 2017 at 0:30
  • 3
    @WGroleau Could you please dial down the paranoia just a tad? As Henning pointed out, you posted your question, without providing a link. You then edited it (update) and again, no link. That is all he means by his 'keep'. You don't have to post the URI, but a link to, or heck, even the name of the airline, might help, ya think?
    – CGCampbell
    Jan 8, 2017 at 0:35

1 Answer 1


You do not need ESTA. You can almost certainly get in the UK without a visa (depending on the nature of your trip) and you can just go to the US citizen line when you return to the US.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.