I'm a US Citizen and I have been staying in the Philippines for 16 years; my parents could not afford to pay the penalty. What am I going to do? Any suggestions?

closed as off-topic by Blaszard, Willeke, Jan, Ali Awan, JonathanReez Jan 2 '17 at 9:57

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 5
    Consult a lawyer. On second thought, consult a lawyer. Seems too delicate a situation to have strangers over the internet tell you what to do. – Itai Dec 31 '16 at 18:21
  • 2
    How old are you? – TonyK Dec 31 '16 at 18:32
  • 1
    Itai has a good suggestion. If you cannot do that, talk to the US embassy. – o.m. Dec 31 '16 at 21:38
  • Have you been renewing your US passport while you were there? Or has it expired? Are your parents in the Philippines as well or are they simply your only source of money? There are some many factors that will come into play, your best bet is, as Itai and o.m. said, talk to a lawyer and the US Embassy. – user13044 Jan 1 '17 at 2:54