I am working in Spain as a Turkish citizen. I have a residence/working card for one year. I will need to go to US this spring. I am wondering if I am required to have a tourist visa for this or I am eligible to travel with just my residence/working card and an ESTA.

  • 8
    EU citizens generally need an ESTA, it seems unlikely that EU residents need less paperwork. – o.m. Dec 26 '16 at 19:59
  • 1
    It depends on the country. Citizens of some EU countries need a full-fledged visa to US. So as @o.m. said it would be surprising if being a "resident" in Spain would help with anything. – Grzegorz Oledzki Dec 28 '16 at 8:58
  • 1
    If you need to go to the US, that implies you'll be going for work purposes. If so, a tourist visa won't do, and you'll need an appropriate work visa. Tourist visas are only for people who want to visit the US, not for people who need to. – Mike Scott Dec 28 '16 at 10:03
  • 1
    If ESTA will not give you allowance, you still need a visa. Here is a nice statistics about vista refusal (including visa free countries). – crea7or Dec 28 '16 at 15:23
  • @MikeScott the visa waiver program accommodates both visitors for business and visitors for pleasure. People who need a visa require a B-1 visa for business visits or a B-2 visa for pleasure visits, but the vast majority of visitor visas issued by the US are combination B-1/B-2, so they also accommodate both classes of visitor. – phoog Jan 27 '19 at 19:02

Whether you need a visa to visit the US is based on your citizenship, not your residence. So, as a citizen of Turkey you will need a visa to visit the US.


Your Spanish work permit is not relevant and Turkey is not a US Visa Waiver country, so you need a visa to enter the United States.

Here are the official details.


Turkish citizens do need a visa for the US, as stated in Timatic. Foreign residency is completely irrelevant

  • 1
    The question is somewhat understandable if one considers the situation in Europe, where having a Schengen visa allows visits to some non-Schengen nations. That doesn't change the answer, of course. – o.m. Dec 27 '16 at 16:11
  • @o.m. That's what I meant - in some countries foreign residency is relevant, but the US is not one of them – Crazydre Dec 27 '16 at 16:14
  • 1
    Obviously, foreign residency is relevant when you need to provide current address details when applying for US visa. Don't use an old Turkish address there. – MSalters Dec 28 '16 at 0:34

Yes, you mostly definitely need a visa.

Be aware that foreigners seeking a visa while residing in a foreign country may have difficulty proving strong ties to his current residence. Prepare any document that shows ties (wage slips, job contract, assets) to your EU residence, and proof of funds to afford your trip to the US.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.