I am non-EU citizen and residing in France. My visa is expired but I have the "Récépissé de renouvellement de Titre de Séjour" (i.e. a visa renewal receipt). My visa is a student type D visa with multiple entries.

Question: Will I be able to travel from Brussels to Bucharest and back again?

  • 1
    Is your visa expired? Have you already got a residence permit or will this be your initial residence permit? Dec 21, 2016 at 10:31
  • 1
    What is your citizenship? Are you concerned about entering Romania or about returning to France?
    – JonathanReez
    Dec 21, 2016 at 11:08
  • 1
    @MichaelHampton as I understand it most D visas these days function as a titre de sejour for one year so there's no need to get a residence permit until the visa expires (the second year).
    – phoog
    Dec 21, 2016 at 11:22
  • 1
    @JonathanReez, my main concern is whether I will be able to board a flight from Brussels and secondary concern being whether Bucharest will recognise a French Récépissé.
    – K.K
    Dec 21, 2016 at 11:26
  • 1
    @K.K all the best ! Do update back so we know what's the consulate's stand. Also, do bring a printout of their reply with you too (if they say you are allowed to travel).
    – h21
    Dec 22, 2016 at 13:20

2 Answers 2


According to the Romanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

Given the conditions selected previously, you need a visa in order to travel to Romania.

However, should you fit into one of the situations below, you are exempt from the Romanian visa requirement, for stays that of no more than 90 days during any 180-day period:


• I hold a residence permit issued by a Schengen member state ;

An essential precondition for the equivalence of these visas as Romanian national visas is that they be valid, namely that the right of stay and validity period not have been used up.";

Therefore the answer is no, you would not be allowed to enter Romania without a visa.


To clarify your status and answer some of the questions in the comments, the document you hold does entitle you to leave and reenter France. It is a valid residence document and listed as such in Prado. Service-public.fr also states that such a document can be used to return to France. Since the right of stay and validity period attached to your récépissé have not been used up, you should be covered by the rules allowing Schengen-area residents to enter Romania.

At the same time, because it is a somewhat unusual document, it's difficult to rule out some issues at the airport in Brussels or at the Romanian border. If the travel is not essential, it could therefore make sense to postpone it.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .