According to GOV.UK, as a UK citizen I should apply for a Russian entry visa through the Russia Visa Application Centre in London or Edinburgh.

I have since learnt that I can add Manchester to that list.

Is there any way to obtain a Russian visa outside of the UK? My intended visit is for 1 week to St Petersburg and Moscow travelling overland if that helps.

  • 4
    Not sure about UK citizens (I’m German) but back in 2010 I applied for a tourist visa from Helsinki where I was an exchange student. I think, the restriction is not your nationality but your residency.
    – Jan
    Commented Dec 12, 2016 at 16:46
  • 2
    I am UK resident as well. But debating whether it is possible to get visa whilst travelling.
    – medina
    Commented Dec 12, 2016 at 16:49
  • 2
    It will depend on the policies of the visa application center you intend to use, and the type of visa, or other legal presence, you have in the country where you are applying. It will probablly be simpler to apply in the UK as your country of residence. Commented Dec 12, 2016 at 17:07
  • 2
    Depends on the embassy. Some will only accept those who are either citizens or legal residents of the country. Where do you live atm?
    – Crazydre
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 1:55
  • 3
    Why don't you just phone the consulate? Ask them about your specific situation. It is suggested on the web. Also, it seems that you need (semi)permanent residency in the country where you apply for a visa
    – alamar
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 15:38

1 Answer 1



Для оформления визы иностранный гражданин должен обратиться в российское консульское учреждение по месту своего постоянного проживания.
To obtain a visa a foreign citizen must apply to the Russian consulate in their place of permanent residence.

Travel Visa Agency Limited:

German passport holders should apply for a visa to Russian Consulate in Germany (Exception for German passport holders with residence in the UK confirmed by a letter from German Embassy or by special inscription in their passports).

The information in the latter site seems far from comprehensive (or nationalities are treated more differently than I would expect) but the gist is, officially "Nyet".

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .