Excerpt from Wikipedia: Visa policy of South Korea

Holders of Chinese passports who also hold a physical visa or a residence permit issued by a EEA member state or Switzerland, or a group visa issued by Japan and traveling with the tour group, can also enjoy visa-free transit for 30 days.

I have Chinese passport and a residence permit issued by France. Can I enjoy visa-free transit for 30 days if I travel to South Korea independently?

My scheduling is,

  • outbound: France --> China (Stay a couple of days)
  • inbound: China --> South Korea (Stay less than 10 days) --> France
  • To be clear, are you transiting South Korea (say, flying from China to South Korea to France)? – Zach Lipton Nov 26 '16 at 0:26
  • @ZachLipton, many thanks for your kind reminder. I've just edited my answer. – SparkAndShine Nov 26 '16 at 1:06

Yes, you may enjoy visa-free transit for 30 days. There is sightly different wording provided courtesy KLM:

Korea (Rep.) (KR)

Visa Exemptions:

  • Nationals of China (People's Rep.) with a visa issued by Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Switzerland, USA or an EEA Member State if in transit through Korea (Rep.):
    • holding confirmed onward tickets on flights departing within 30 days; when
    • arriving from a third country, departing to the country that issued the visa (e.g. PVG-ICN-SFO); or
    • arriving on a direct flight from the country that issued the visa (a visa that expired on departure from that country is accepted), departing to a third country (e.g. SFO-ICN-PVG).


Not applicable if traveling in a group.
Not applicable if traveling from/to Northern Mariana Isl.
Not applicable to holders of an e-visa.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.