If I've understood it correctly, a VWP national working as a crewmember on an aircraft needs a D visa if entering the US as a crewmember, or a C1/D visa if not entering as a crewmember but exiting as one.

From the Department of State:

If you travel to the United States to meet and board the vessel you will work on, you need a transit (C-1) visa.

Does the requirement to also hold a C-1 visa if not entering the US as a crewmember also apply to VWP nationals, who don't normally Need a C visa?

  • 3
    Did you see travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/other/crewmember.html? Was there something there you didn't understand? Generally the VWP covers purposes of travel allowed under B-1 or B-2 status, which explains why the VWP isn't adequate for crewmembers. – phoog Nov 21 '16 at 2:33
  • @pnuts This does not concern me. Nevertheless, it's Norwegian – Crazydre Nov 21 '16 at 2:37
  • This is kind of an edge case of little interest outside the travel industry, but my (possibly flawed) understanding is that D status covers working on a vessel that transits the US, that is, leaving and departing while working on a vessel, and C1 status covers joining or departing a vessel in the US, i.e. working only in one direction of travel. – Michael Hampton Nov 21 '16 at 2:42
  • See also travel.stackexchange.com/a/76968/3221 – Michael Hampton Nov 21 '16 at 2:47
  • @MichaelHampton Doesn't answer my question. I completely overhauled it – Crazydre Nov 21 '16 at 2:52