If I've understood it correctly, a VWP national working as a crewmember on an aircraft needs a D visa if entering the US as a crewmember, or a C1/D visa if not entering as a crewmember but exiting as one.

From the Department of State:

If you travel to the United States to meet and board the vessel you will work on, you need a transit (C-1) visa.

Does the requirement to also hold a C-1 visa if not entering the US as a crewmember also apply to VWP nationals, who don't normally Need a C visa?

closed as unclear what you're asking by pnuts, Giorgio, Ali Awan, Gayot Fow, JonathanReez Nov 24 '16 at 9:36

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    Did you see travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/other/crewmember.html? Was there something there you didn't understand? Generally the VWP covers purposes of travel allowed under B-1 or B-2 status, which explains why the VWP isn't adequate for crewmembers. – phoog Nov 21 '16 at 2:33
  • @pnuts This does not concern me. Nevertheless, it's Norwegian – Crazydre Nov 21 '16 at 2:37
  • This is kind of an edge case of little interest outside the travel industry, but my (possibly flawed) understanding is that D status covers working on a vessel that transits the US, that is, leaving and departing while working on a vessel, and C1 status covers joining or departing a vessel in the US, i.e. working only in one direction of travel. – Michael Hampton Nov 21 '16 at 2:42
  • See also travel.stackexchange.com/a/76968/3221 – Michael Hampton Nov 21 '16 at 2:47
  • @MichaelHampton Doesn't answer my question. I completely overhauled it – Crazydre Nov 21 '16 at 2:52