I have a ticket on United (Economy "K" class) for a 2-week trip in January from Canada to the US. The ticket is non-refundable, but is changeable for a hefty fee ($200) and is valid for a year. The ticket is also marked "0VALUAFTDPT - Cancel reservations before the scheduled departure time or TICKET HAS NO VALUE"

Let's say I can't travel in January, and instead I want to take the same trip sometime in the summer.

Now, if I knew my exact travel dates in the summer, I could just pay the $200 fee (and any difference in airfare), and make the change.

However, what if I don't know my summer travel dates yet, and won't know them by my original January departure date? Is it possible to cancel the January reservation now, and pick a new travel date much later, paying the $200 change fee only once? I.e. can I "park" or "store" the value of the ticket without picking a new date right away?

  • Usually the duration of the credit is up to 1 year but change fees will still apply.
    – Karlson
    Commented Nov 20, 2016 at 7:21
  • 1
    Well done @Karlson would you please weave that into an answer so we can up vote it?
    – Gayot Fow
    Commented Nov 20, 2016 at 8:01
  • @GayotFow If I could find the reference below I would have.
    – Karlson
    Commented Nov 20, 2016 at 23:50

1 Answer 1


It seems (from United Airlines' website) that you may cancel your current reservation and make changes to it for the next year from the date of issue

Can I cancel my reservation on united.com?

Yes, if your plans change and you prefer not to change your itinerary immediately, you may cancel the reservation and return to it later to make flight changes for up to one year from the date of issue. A change fee may apply.

This may be the perfect solution to your situation.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .