I am a US citizen and I'm going to be studying abroad in Japan in April, 2017. I want to visit Seoul, South Korea for a couple month before then.

Is it possible to apply for the visa for Japan while I'm in South Korea?

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What is the recommended approach to doing this? (I was leaning more towards taking care of everything by mail, but I'm not sure).

  • You should ask the Japanese embassy in Korea whether they will accept your application.
    – fkraiem
    Nov 14, 2016 at 10:47
  • Why not just do it at the Consulate nearest to you? That might be easier than carrying the documentation required for a student visa. What would you do if there's an issue?
    – Giorgio
    Nov 14, 2016 at 15:08
  • If all else fails, it's also possible to obtain a residence permit after enteirng Japan
    – Crazydre
    Nov 14, 2016 at 17:09

1 Answer 1


From the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan:

Q5: Can I apply for a visa at the nearest Japanese Embassy / Consulate General while traveling in a foreign country?

A5: You can apply for the visa at the Japanese Embassy / Consulate General in your own country (region) or country (region) of residence (if there is more than one, apply to the Japanese Embassy / Consulate General nearest from where you live). In other words, you cannot apply for a visa at your travel destination; however, if there are unavoidable circumstances, consult with the Japanese Embassy / Consulate General where you would like to apply for the visa before making the application.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .